Monday, March 10, 2008

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good:

- We finally found a new apartment, after seeing countless overpriced dumps. Within 2 weeks we had signed the lease and started packing.

- We're moved in. Finally.

- The apartment is beautiful, spacious, so so so much better than our previous place.... You can't even compare. HUGE UPGRADE.

- My new favorite chore is laundry. Yesterday I did load after load after load of laundry. Giggling giddily the entire time (now say that fast 3 times!). No leaving the premises to wash anything anymore! WOOT!

- I think we have a good 1600-1800 square feet (versus about 800 before). The cats are tiring themselves out running around!

- On the moving day (which started at 5am) I helped Emiro and the movers move from 5am - 12 noon, worked from 12 noon - 7pm, and then sped off into NYC because Emiro was kind enough to insist I go to a friend's wine/cheese/chocolate party. He said I deserved off time after all the work I've put in - and I agreed :) The evening was FABULOUS and I had so much fun spending time with my girlfriends - I'm so happy we're making these meetings more of a regular thing!

The Bad:

- There's a problem with the radiators (management is working on it, should be fixed by the weekend). Basically, every couple of hours SHE BANGS, SHE BANGS, SHE BANGS as William Hung would say it (this should be familiar for those of you who watch American Idol). Holy shit. It sounds like a midget is in the room with us, hammering on the pipes. Not only does it wake you up with a start, but it also keeps you up. Banging goes on for about 3-5 minutes non stop, every hour or less.

- Moving day was, by far, one of the most stressful days I've experienced in a VERY long time. Lets leave it at that!

- The first night, the cats meowed the ENTIRE night. I got maybe 1 hour of sleep.

- My entire body is SORE from this move - squatting down and getting up without stop + up and down 2 flights of stairs 100 times a day + general moving activities have me aching. Although I refrained from any REALLY hard physical stuff (lifting very heavy items etc) I was very active in this move, because honestly, I had no choice. We had such limited time & limited financial resources. Yesterday even getting off the couch to get a drink of water caused my entire body to ache.

- Speaking of aches, the back pains that started a month ago or NOT letting up. I'm up all night long changing positions to relieve stress off my back. I did buy a huge body pillow (which is like another person in between Emiro and I!) but its only helping a tiny bit. HOWEVER, I do have a gift certificate from Emiro for a massage, which I will be using (this week, I think!) so hopefully that helps.

- We don't have phone, cable or internet, and won't have it until Thursday (I begged and pleaded to get the Thursday appointment -- can you imagine missing LOST *horrified voice*?

The Ugly:

- I'm not getting good vibes from my downstairs neighbor. Seems like she really enjoyed not having anyone live above her for a good 6 months. So far she complained about classical music being on too loud (yeah, classical music, you read that right). Granted, the apartment was empty at the time so the music was not muted by any furniture/rugs, but still, What the fuck??? Wait until we have a screaming infant. Apparently she went to the super and complained? I mean, I don't expect you to come to my door with homemade brownies and say welcome to the neighborhood, but a simple conversation with me would have resulted in reducing the volume levels. Now I'm scared to even have the TV on loud -- I hate pissing people off, but still, we have a life to live, you know?? I can't tiptoe because her prissy ass thinks this 1920's condo will have 100% noise barrier?!?! The following day (the day we actually moved) I saw her for the first time - she was leaving her condo carrying a huge Louis Vuitton suitcase and entering her 700 BMW series, had long blond hair and looked to be late 30's early 40's, and from what I understand she's single. Interesting character -- hope she doesn't turn out to be a nightmare of a neighbor.

- Me. Feeling blah - this gross weather certainly isn't helping. Feeling achy and tired and blah instead of glowing.

- First zit in 5 months popped by to visit :-/

No comments: